About a month ago, a neighbor was cleaning out their house and had a TON of stuff on the side of the street, offered up for free. Lots of small appliances, still in the box. That’s where I found the ice cream maker.
It was a crank handle, in a box that looked absolutely vintage. Elliot looked up the patent, which was granted in 1984. The box looks like it came from 1984. It works perfectly. Now I’m obsessed with making ice cream- I’ve never done it before. So far I’ve made strawberry, and banana peanut butter. It’s excellent stuff. Here’s the recipe I’m using:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract (didn’t use for the banana peanut butter)
- 1 pint of whatever you’re flavoring it with
- blend fruit, sugar, milk, salt and vanilla extract in a blender to the consistency that you desire.
- add heavy whipping cream and burst no longer than 10 seconds
- pour mixture into ice cream maker and process (or crank, like I do), for however long directions say (for mine it is about 20 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes).
For my favorite video out of everything I searched click here and watch the process.
I want to make more, but we really shouldn’t have that many pints in our freezer, especially since ice cream is Elliot’s kryptonite. The strawberry is delicious, and the banana/peanut butter is even creamier, probably due to the oil (strawberries have more water to freeze in the mix). If you haven’t had the luck of finding an ice cream maker on the side of the road, YouTube has several tutorials about how to make it using a standing mixer, heavy cream, and a can of condensed milk, so check those out (typically under “ice cream with 2 ingredients”).
Stay sane, try something new if you can, and if you need comfort food, I can rush you a pint :).